freetds - Re: [freetds] Question about MAX param size when calling StoredProc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Question about MAX param size when calling StoredProc
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 15:39:37 -0400

Navdeep Shergill wrote:
> Microsoft states that they are going to EOL 'image' data type in future
> versions. They expect us to use varbinary(max). Any chance of it being
> supported in FreeTDS?

Chance, yes. Soon, no.

Cf. the ML "row problem" thread in March 2008. varchar(max) has a
different protocol representation and breaks important assumptions in the
libtds data structures. It's not an easy thing to support. Someone more
paranoid than I am would sense a diabolical purpose....

But don't fret about deprecation; the wind's at your back. It's a safe
bet FreeTDS will support varchar(max) and varbinary(max) a long time
before Micrsoft drops support for TEXT and IMAGE. They're still present
in SQL Server 2008.

Other than "vendor guidance" is there any reason to use varbinary(max)
over IMAGE?