freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS 0.82 no longer has tds.h installed?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy AT panoptic.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS 0.82 no longer has tds.h installed?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:39:21 -0400

On 2008.04.19, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org> wrote:
> That said, ct-lib, although it supports DBD::Sybase and sqsh
> acceptably, is the weak sister nowadays, with no one actively adding
> to it. Your involvement could change that, which is what I meant by
> both projects benefitting. Instead of maintaining something special
> to AOLserver, you'd be maintaining a generalized, well defined
> interface.

I will look at FreeTDS's implementation of ct-lib.

> > Does db-lib or ct-lib offer millisecond-granularity timeouts? Or,
> > is it in whole seconds?
>
> No, but we could discuss ways to make that possible.
>
> I'm a little surprised this is a requirement, insofar as database
> drivers generally can't be depended on for that kind of granularity.
> ODBC SQL_ATTR_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT is specified in seconds. Timeout
> handling was quite broken in FreeTDS prior to 0.82.

Second granularity worked great in client-server applications where
expectations were set such that operations that took multiple seconds to
complete were reasonable.

However, in web applications, response time is now measured in units of
hundreds of milliseconds. ODBC simply hasn't caught up, yet.

> I think you'll find that the static library libtds.a is built. You
> probably just need to copy the headers and the library to your standard
> tree and re-link.

Aha! Yes, I simply had to link "-lrt -ltds -lreplacements" and life is
good again. :-)

At least it's good to know that when FreeTDS 0.82 _is_ released, folks
using nsfreetds will be able to upgrade.

Thanks!

--
Dossy Shiobara | dossy AT panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/
Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/