freetds - Re: [freetds] Row problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Row problem
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:43:36 -0400

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> Perhaps structure should be changed? Should we remove row concept (dblib
> already save cur_size so it can save data, data_free too) ?? Handle like
> blobs?? In this case is_blob_type macro is not sufficient or we should
> add some new types (not server ones, XSYBVARCHAR have a limited maximun
> or not depending on column_size).

Unless we find a good reason not to, I think we should treat varchar(max)
like TEXT when fetching.

>From an API point of view, the two are the same. The column can be 2 GB,
so the application cannot allocate a buffer to hold the whole thing. It
will have to be able to read/write in chunks, just like TEXT.

The only difference is on the server. That's not a reason to change the
client.
Does the Microsoft client allow varchar(max) to be a stored procedure
parameter? (I bet it does.) If so, we'll need to add support for it to
SQLPutData.

Of course we'll need to add XSYBVARCHARMAX or something like that.

How does that sound?