freetds - Re: [freetds] Missing header files.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Missing header files.
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:24:27 -0500

Malcom Kemp wrote:
> I have installed unixODBC on a SuSE 10.2 distribution.
> ./configure --with-tdsver=7.0 --with-unixodbc
>
> Make
> All of this as root.

Btw, it's a good idea to set up your system so you can build software as
yourself. More convenient and safer. Word to the wise and all that. :-)

> I get an error on the make towards the end that it
> cannot find sql.h, sqlext.h, and odbcinst.h.

You're not using the right syntax.

$ ./configure --help | grep odbc
--disable-odbc do not attempt to build odbc the driver
--with-iodbc=DIR build odbc driver against iODBC in DIR
--with-unixodbc=DIR build odbc driver against unixODBC in DIR
--with-odbc-nodm=DIR build odbc without driver manager (headers in
DIR)

If unixODBC is in the "normal" place, the configure script should detect
it and build the ODBC driver:

$ ./configure --with-tdsver=7.0

should suffice. If unixODBC is somewhere odd, you might have to tell
configure where to find it by giving an argument to --with-unixodbc.

Search your sytem for those files. If they're not installed, you'll need
a package that includes them. They're part of the unixODBC distribution;
perhaps you need a -devel package or something.

You can check whether everything worked with "tsql -C":

$ tsql -C | grep -i odbc
iODBC: no
unixodbc: yes
HTH.