freetds - Re: [freetds] Patch to fix nasty HP-UX problem (was TSQL error - connect error: Not owner)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Patch to fix nasty HP-UX problem (was TSQL error - connect error: Not owner)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:59:45 +0100

> ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> > I don't like all that code just to fix a problem for a
> single system but
> > this problem has to be fixed... and problem reside on the
> system header
> > so you are just writing a workaround...
>
> Agreed. In general it's better to test for the feature than
> for the OS,
> but there's another general rule: it's better to fix bugs
> upstream than to
> work around them, and workarounds don't have to be elegant.
> Or general.
> ;-)
>
> With that in mind, let me try to save you some work, or at
> least offer a
> better alternative. Please read
>
> http://h50236.www5.hp.com/solutions/copartner/IA64/reference/P
> orting_Tuning/portguideipf.pdf
> and http://www.docs.hp.com/en/B9106-90013/xopen_networking.7.html.
>
> It looks like defining _XOPEN_SOURCE might do the trick. Certainly HP
> knows about the conflict.
>
> I suggest the OP go back to HP and see if there's some way to
> define his
> environment such that FreeTDS compiles without your patch. If he's
> willing to do that but needs a clearer test case, would you
> be willing to
> create one?
>
> Regards,

Now I understood! If _XOPEN_SOURCE and _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED are
defined Unix98 are defined but you have to link libxnet to get these
functions. Are we sure however that using -lxnet will use these
functions instead of libc one?? Even libc is defined... I'll try...

If this works changing configure adding -lxnet for hp-ux will work.