freetds - [freetds] UTF-8 Support: how to bind char strings?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Sebastien FLAESCH <sf AT 4js.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] UTF-8 Support: how to bind char strings?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:12:53 +0100

I will start to make some tests using the UTF-8 cgarset on the client side
with NCHAR / NVARCHAR columns on the server side...

Is there any special consideration I should take into account?

From my understanding, if the client is in utf8, the binding the SQL
Parameters and fetch buffers with

C type = SQL_C_CHAR or SQL_C_VARCHAR (utf8 is not wchar)

and passing the number of bytes (not characters) should be ok... right?

What about the SQL type to be specified?

Should I use:

SQL_WCHAR / SQL_WVARCHAR
or
SQL_CHAR / SQL_VARCHAR

Does it really matter?

Anyone with ODBC + UTF-8 experience using FreeTDS?

Thanks
Seb

  • [freetds] UTF-8 Support: how to bind char strings?, Sebastien FLAESCH, 01/10/2008