freetds - Re: [freetds] C/C++: Library usage in linux and windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Richard Krehbiel" <richard.krehbiel AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] C/C++: Library usage in linux and windows
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:05:37 -0400

I migrated a substantial code base (700K+ lines) from Windows to Linux, and
the database portion was a piece of cake.

The key ingredient for your C++ program is to use the ODBC API. After that
you can compile on Windows or Linux, no sweat. ODBC isolates the program
from the database drivers. So on Windows you can use either FreeTDS or MS
drivers, and on Linux (where MS drivers aren't available) you can use
FreeTDS.

Furthermore, you can change database vendors with very little impact on your
code (just SQL syntax changes). Not only did I port from Windows to Linux,
but with only a little more work (only SQL syntax tweaks) I ported from MS
SQL Server to MySQL. The driver is loaded at run time by the connection
details; you can retarget to Oracle or PostgreSQL or IBM DB2 or Ingres or
Sybase; all have Windows and Linux drivers.