freetds - Re: [freetds] problems storing more than 8000 bytes of data in a varchar(max) column

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Moritz Bunkus <m.bunkus AT linet-services.de>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] problems storing more than 8000 bytes of data in a varchar(max) column
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:21:06 +0200

Hey,

On Friday 17 August 2007 16:53, James K. Lowden wrote:

First off, thanks for your quick answer.

> I think we're both a little confused.
>
> As you've found out, you can't put more than 8000 bytes in a varchar
> column, no matter what you do with tds_get_column_declaration(). That's a
> server constraint.

I know. The OTRS database schema uses "text" type columns. But the MS
SQL Server 2005 documentation states in various places that "text" type
columns are deprecated and will be removed in future versions. It
suggests using the column type "varchar(max)" (yes, the word "max", not
a number, between ( and )).

I'll try your other suggestions and report back, though probably not
before Monday.

> If I'm right about Perl, all is not lost. ISTR support for text
> columns as an extension. Certainly DBD::Sybase supports text columns.

I'm not too fond of having to deal with another layer (ODBC). So I'd be
happy to ditch it in favour of using DBD::Sybase. Maybe I'll just try
that next, and if it doesn't work, then I'll do all the dumping and
comparing you've suggested.

Regards,
Moritz

--
Dipl.-Inform. Moritz Bunkus
Geschäftsführung

LINET Services GbR | Gotenweg 15 | 38106 Braunschweig
Tel. 0531-180508-0 | Fax 0531-180508-29

http://www.linet-services.de

Vertretungsberechtigte Gesellschafter:
Moritz Bunkus, Philip Reetz und Timo Springmann

USt-IdNr. DE 206946144