freetds - Re: [freetds] Progress on CVS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Progress on CVS
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:50:34 +0200

> Hi Freddy,.
>
> ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> > Some todo before RC
> > - odbc rpc review (multiple chained for mssql7+??)
> > - odbc cursor review
>
> I leave this to you. I'm satisfied when you are.

Still to do...

> > - dbsetnull patch ?? anyone can test/comment/anything this stuff
>
> I definitely want to add this before the release. It's a
> nice addition,
> done correctly.

applied

There is also a patch for ctlib at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1729392&group_i
d=33106&atid=407808
I'm not so ctlib expert so I would be happy if someone could revise the
patch...

> > - readline compile problem ?? I don't think FreeTDS should
> depend on
> > readline just to compile... there are two solutions
> > 1- disable fisql if readline not available (very easy)
> > 2- make fisql not dependent on readline
>
> Best solution is [3] to build fisql without readline if
> readline is not
> available. I know it's something Nick is interested in
> seeing happen.
> Time is something else.
>
> fisql is a good tool to have:
>
> 1. Highly functional.
> 2. Works with Sybase db-lib, thus can expose errors in
> FreeTDS db-lib.

Fixed in a way similar to tsql... perhaps TOO similar (TODO: put code in
replacements??)

> I agree it's getting to be time to release 0.65. Proababy
> should call it
> 0.70; it's a long way from e.g. 0.63.

At your opinion

> Question about locale: do we now default the client charset
> according to
> locale, using freetds.conf as an override? We should. Docs
> need updating
> on this point too (note to self).

Are we sure?? Certainly we handle case where LANG is set to XXXX.charset
but I don't know other cases... correctly freetds.conf can override it.
Perhaps it would be fine to have an ODBC option too...

I think we are moving in the right direction.
Recently I manage to get a chrooted environment with 3 Sybase versions
working (old 11.9.2, 12.5 and 15 !!!), obviously I cannot distribute it
(and I cannot even share the server, mainly for resource reasons) but is
very useful for me. chroot means real system performance so I can even
test for performance. Is also very easy to more this environment to
different machines.