freetds - Re: [freetds] MSSQL2005 with FreeTDS problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thomas, Christopher (LLU)" <cwthomas AT llu.edu>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MSSQL2005 with FreeTDS problem
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:27:07 -0700

Hello,

I don't have a SQL Server 2005 box but I bet you are running a FreeTDSS
that's too old. It probably came out before MSSQL Server 2005 was out.
Try a newer version. v0.62.1, eh? Did you use the rpms from the ftp
site? If you used the rpms, then I bet you are afraid to compile stuff.
But don't be afraid to compile FreeTDS on Fedora because it is real
simple. I'm thinking about writing an article or something so people
will know how to do it.

Here are the steps:

1) make sure you have the development stuff (gcc, rpmbuild, etc.)
installed on your system.
2) make sure you have the unixodbc-devel package installed on your
system.
3) if you don't have a build environment setup, here is how to create
one:

# mkdir -p $HOME/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
# echo "%home %(echo $HOME)" >> $HOME/.rpmmacros
# echo "%_topdir %{home}/rpmbuild" >> $HOME/.rpmmacros

4) download the latest stable version of FreeTDS from their website.
5) rename the download file from freetds-stable.tgz to
freetds-0.64.tar.gz
6) compile the code and make rpm packages:

# rpmbuid -tb freetds-0.64.tar.gz

Now you should have the freetds rpms sitting in your $HOME/rpmbuild/RPMS
directory. I would uninstall the old freetds rpms before installing the
new ones. I hope these instructions help.

Chris