freetds - [freetds] MS SQL Query for Windows Authentication

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Shama Dhume" <shama_dhume AT persistent.co.in>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] MS SQL Query for Windows Authentication
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:07:46 +0530

Hi

I am working on analyzing the network traffic for MS SQL Server. The setup
for generating the traffic is as follows:

Server: MS SQL server version 2000

Client: SQL Query Analyser version SQL 8.00

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2003

The issue here is, by default Kerberos authentication is enabled on the
above operating system. But I want to enable NTLM authentication on Windows
Server 2003 inorder to capture a trace and check whether it contains NT
authentication packet embedded in the TDS login packet as described in the
TDS document.

I disabled Kerberos from the windows services and enabled NTLM from
services. But it did not work out.

Also I enabled NTLM by editing the Group Policy from "Active Directory Users
and Computers" by going in "Administrative Tools" on Windows. But still it
did not work out.

In both the above cases, the packet had Kerberos authentication only when I
selected the option "Windows Authentication" in the Query Analyser while
logging in to the MS SQL Server.

Any references/inputs which answer this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shama