freetds - [freetds] MS SQL Queries

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Shama Dhume" <shama_dhume AT persistent.co.in>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] MS SQL Queries
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 20:05:46 +0530

Hi

I am working on MS SQL. I am having queries regarding the TDS protocol.
Basically I am dealing with MS SQL Server 2000.

I would like to know about the following things:

1) A detailed packet format of Result - TDS 7.0+ (0x81) response
token. I actually want to know the different values that its "type" field
can take. Also I want to know the details of its "size" and "optional"
fields.

2) The detailed packet format of RPC (Remote Procedure Call).How can I
generate/capture a trace which contains a RPC packet? What are RPC packets
used for?

3) A detailed packet format of Output Parameters (0xAC) response
token. How can I generate a trace for it?

4) A detailed packet format of Data - Row Result (0xD1), Data -
Compute Result (0xD3) response tokens. I notice from the packet traces that
sometimes strings contained in row data are in 16-bit Unicode, and sometimes
they are not. Why? Also I would like to know if there is anyway to determine
the size of the row data block? How to know if it contains fixed length
records or variable length records?

5) A detailed packet format of Capability packet ( 0xE2 ). How can I
generate a trace for it?

6) A detailed packet format of Param format (0xEC). How can I generate
a trace for it?

7) A detailed packet format of Result Set ( 0xEE ). How can I
generate a trace for it?

Any inputs/references that answers this questions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shama