freetds - [freetds] MS SQL Protocol

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: sankalp_karpe <sankalp_karpe AT persistent.co.in>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] MS SQL Protocol
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:46:49 +0530

Hi,

I have the following questions regarding the MS SQL protocol (Client-Server interaction):
(i) What is the significance of the prelogin packet (TDS Type 0x12)?
(ii) If I sniff the traffic between a MS SQL Client and Server, this is the first packet that the Client sends on wire and has the TDS Data having the string "MSSQLServer". Any reasons ?
(iii) Also, Is it always the first packet when MS SQL is started?

Any inputs/refernces that answeres this questions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sankalp