freetds - [freetds] Empty string in varcharmax column in ODBC mode

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Sokol, Ryan - 244" <ryans AT HA.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Empty string in varcharmax column in ODBC mode
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:56:03 -0600

I think I have stumbled upon a bug in the ODBC implementation of
FreeTDS.

If you run the following query in ODBC mode against a SQL SERVER 2005,
the query fails to finish.

Select ISNULL(D.Description,'') AS Description from some_table

If the column D.Description is a varcharmax, the query does not finish.
Here's the kicker, it only fails about 50% of the time.

Note: this works fine in db-lib mode.

Thanks.