freetds - Re: [freetds] Failing logins / instance ignored?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Failing logins / instance ignored?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:01:24 -0500

Matija Grabnar wrote:
> I downloaded the latest DBD::Sybase from CPAN. It wouldn't compile with
> the freetds (due to undefined symbols), but it compiled with the stable
> (0.64) version.

DBD::Sybase passed the majority of the tests when you installed it?

> However, now when I run the same script, I get
> DBI connect('MSSQL:server=hsldbYukon;database=IT','itc',...) failed: (no
>
> error string) at /root/s/dbd.pl line 13
> at /usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm line 638
> DBI::__ANON__[/usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm:687]('undef', 'undef') called at
> /usr/lib/perl5/DBI.pm line 689
> DBI::connect('DBI', 'dbi:Sybase:MSSQL:server=hsldbYukon;database=IT',
> 'itc', 'hidden') called at /root/s/dbd.pl line 13
>
> Failed, with NO error string?
>
> Any ideas on what I should try next?

Export TDSDUMP, look at the log. At the very top it should confirm
you're using the right version. Later it should tell you how the
connection attempt was made and what failed. That will probably be enough
to straighten things out.

You didn't have to upgrade, you know (although it's just as well,
support-wise). You just had to ask your DBA what port your instance is
running on, and set that correctly as a dataserver entry in freetds.conf.

HTH.