freetds - Re: [freetds] hex(92), freeTDS and MS SQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lapo Luchini <lapo AT lapo.it>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] hex(92), freeTDS and MS SQL
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:25:16 +0000 (UTC)

James K. Lowden <jklowden <at> freetds.org> writes:

> Moral: don't let the client put windows-1252 data in a column encoded as
> ISO 8859-1. Don't declare to the server that your windows-1252 data are
> ISO 8859-1. Be honest! Say what you've got, and maybe use a unicode
> datatype e.g. NVARCHAR to store it. Then things will go much easier.

Of course using NVARCHAR is the *correct* solution, but if you happen to have
wokrk with an existing and huge SqlServer 7 database "that displays the
accents
right with EVERY OTHER application", your new little PHP app *have* to work as
well with (existing) Windows-1252 data.

AFAIK SQLServer7 doesn't know anything about the ISO-1-ness of the fields:
they
just "are".
And, in fact, they "are" Windows-1252, whatever he states in the
wire-protocol:
all its tool show them as CP1252. There is probably some heavy confusion in
some
Microsoft folk, that tought that since the two formats are 90% equal, they are
perfectly equal...

If I can "tell" SQLServer7 to just say "1252" instead of "iso_1"... just thell
me how, because I don't know it, and it would of course be a better solution
that using an ugly patch ^_^