freetds - Re: [freetds] open client availability?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] open client availability?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:49:01 +0100

Hi John,

Effectively, you can think of freetds is an open source stand in for
Sybase Open Client.
Although freetds's raison d'etre was to enable connectivity to MS SQL
Server from non-windows clients, it can connect to Sybase just as well.

as far as Sybase open client is concerned, freetds implements
db-library, ct-library, bcp (our version is called "freebcp"), defncopy.
We don't have a fully functional "isql" program, because sqsh does the
job just as well, if not better.

Our documentation, "how to get what works with it working" shows you how
to get sqsh working compiled against the freetds libraries rather than
sybase open client.

If you need more help, just ask.

Bill