freetds - Re: [freetds] severely lost with Perl/FreeTDS/ODBC/MSSQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] severely lost with Perl/FreeTDS/ODBC/MSSQL
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 00:47:07 -0400

Robert Dobbs wrote:
> The docs have
> instructions on how to set up JDBC for Sybase ODBC
> connections, but they don't give an example for doing
> the same thing with an MS-SQL server.

Let's try it the other way around. You have a working freetds.conf, yes?
Show us the appropriate entry, your odbc.ini, and your connection string.
Also, I'd like to know what kind of an ODBC setup you want (DSN-less,
-only, combined).

We try very hard to make the documentation clear, so I'm always interested
to learn where someone goes astray.

> I had things set up using FreeTDS with DBD::Sybase to
> connect to MSSQL, and it even worked with DBIx::Class
> to create rows... then golly gee, when it tried to
> update, it uses placeholders, so I got a segfault:
> "ct_send(CS_DESCRIBE_INPUT) returned 0 at
> /usr/lib/perl5/DBD/Sybase.pm line 124."

Yep, sorry. That's documented not to work. For Microsoft servers, we'd
need SQL parser.

> That's why I want to try FreeTDS with ODBC. It works
> to use ? placeholders with ODBC, right?

Yes it does. With ODBC you describe the parameter data type; with ct-lib
the library figures it out by (on Sybase) asking the server.

Regards,