freetds - Re: [freetds] threadsafe

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] threadsafe
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:44:29 +0200

Il giorno mar, 29/08/2006 alle 12.41 +0100, Patrick Welche ha scritto:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:59:05PM +0200, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > Now I understand. You suggested to use getaddrinfo instead of
> > gethostbyname_r if not available. I though you means why we test for
> > getaddrinfo in configure... I think that one of the reasons why I didn't
> > use getaddrinfo is that on *BSD (where it is helpful to use it) this
> > function is not thread-safe...
>
> getaddrinfo is thread-safe on, yes it is NetBSD :-) , but the jury is out
> for getnameinfo..
>
> Cheers,
>

>From official manual
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?getaddrinfo++NetBSD-3.99.21
seems not thread-safe...
It seems that in very recent versions of *BSD all lookup functions use
tls (thread locale storage) so even gethostbyname is thread-safe but in
former one getaddrinfo was not thread-safe (well.. I didn't checked but
I assume that all mans are right...)