freetds - [freetds] SQL connection question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Andrew Ballard" <Andrew.Ballard AT mail.wvu.edu>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] SQL connection question
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:36:45 -0400

Hello. I got my start in PHP with mySQL, but for the last several years
I worked with ASP and SQL Server. Early in that job, I read about a
difference between performance with the ODBC drivers versus OLEDB in COM
for Windows. I wrote some simple tests of my own trying to process
records using the ODBC and SQLOLEDB drivers and the SQLOLEDB were faster
by far.

Now I'm back in a job that uses PHP on Linux but they are beginning to
move from mySQL to SQL Server. I see that SQL Server support on *nix is
based on this FreeTDS library. I don't really know much about database
drivers, but I'd like to know if FreeTDS benefits (or can benefit) from
the same difference that made the OLDEB driver perform so much better
over ODBC.

Andrew