freetds - [freetds] Transliteration

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Tera <teranius AT mail.ru>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Transliteration
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:58:25 -0800

Hi,

Sorry if my question is FAQ. Does FreeTDS support translation
between charsets? [I hope it does, otherwise why would it need
iconv.] In our particular situation client is on Mac OS with
french localization (app encoding is MacRoman) and server
localization is Latin 1 (Windows 1252). All those accented
characters written to and read from db got messed. Should I
put some magic string into odbc.ini file in order to
translation between these charsets happen automatically? Or
should I change my app and always write to db (in, say, utf8)?

Please duplicate your reply to e-mail.

Regards,
Tera