freetds - [freetds] SQLDescribeCol returns column size has size of data type, instead of size of column (precision).

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "John Wythe" <jwythe AT silksystems.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] SQLDescribeCol returns column size has size of data type, instead of size of column (precision).
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:39:09 -0700

I having a problem with SQLDescribleCOL in freeTDS, in that it returns
different values for the size of a Column than MS SQL does. It appears that
it returns the size of the data type rather than the precision size of the
column.

In particular a Date field returns size 8, whereas MS SQL returns 23. A TINY
field returns 1 instead of 3.
Most other data types that are not strings are incorrect as well.

Is this a bug, or have I compiled my freeTDS incorrectly?

John

John Wythe
Systems Programmer/Engineer

Silk Systems Inc.
Tel: (604) 468-1668
Fax:(604) 468-1667
www.silksystems.com

Technology Solutions to Manage Your Business

This message, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged and confidential. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or have received
this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
permanently delete this message including any attachments, without reading it
or making a copy. Thank you.

  • [freetds] SQLDescribeCol returns column size has size of data type, instead of size of column (precision)., John Wythe, 04/13/2006