freetds - Re: [freetds] Instance_name with dblib

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Instance_name with dblib
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:55:01 -0500

Unfortunately, no. The only place to put named instance information is
in freetds.conf.

However, you put a good idea in my head. A little googolocity turned up
these:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265808/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260418/en-us (see #6)

I think the next release should support named instances in, er, the
name. Just because Microsoft wants you to use MDAC 2.6 doesn't mean we
can't enhance db-lib.

I propose a named instance have the form:

[\\]computername\instancename

e.g. dbopen(login, "servername\instance");

(where the leading backslashes are optional), similar to the form:

domain\username

for domain logins.

If we put this in src/tds/login.c, it should work for all libraries.

Done correctly, users would never have to specify a port (or even a
server!) for a normal TDS 7.0+ connection. The logic would be:

1. Use instance if specified in connection string, else
2. Use instance/port if provided in freetds.conf, else
3. Use port 1433.

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.