freetds - Re: [freetds] which version to support in server code

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] which version to support in server code
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:50:06 -0500

James Harper wrote:
> I want to use the existing server code to support connections from Query
> Analyser, and take the query requests myself, eg the opposite of what
> freetds does.
> Now I can give the correct response to the 0x12 packet to say just do
> normal unencrypted 0x10 login (thanks freddy77), and have updated my
> server code to work with tds7+, but have most likely broken the support
> for <7.
> Does anyone else on the list care about the server code?

Hi James,

You've done a bunch of work, and I'd like to see it included in the main
distribution. The server code has a few possible uses, not least of which
is to create a TDS front end to other databases. Or, as perhaps you are
doing, non-databases. The population of interested parties may be small,
but you're certainly not alone.

It would be great, if you're up for it, to preserve the 4.2 capability and
add 7.0 (and/or 8.0) to the mix. The reason to keep 4.2 is that it's more
similar to 5.0, which is what Sybase uses. Moving to 7.0-only would
exclude the use of Sybase clients, whereas a 4.2 server (as you found) is
accessible by both vendors' clients.

If you would provide a patch that adds 7.0 capability, I would be very
pleased to apply and acknowledge it.

Regards,