freetds - [freetds] row data length

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com.au>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] row data length
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:38:14 +1100

According to http://www.freetds.org/tds.html:

"Row data starts with one byte (decimal 209), for variable length types,
a one byte length field precedes the data, for fixed length records just
the data appears."

This says to me that variable length types (eg varchar) are limited to
255 bytes, which doesn't sound right. I've used varchar fields of up to
a few k before without problems. Maybe the 209 record is only for older
tds protocols, but then I can't see something that supersedes it...

I can look at the source or do packet traces and figure out what's
really going on but if someone here can tell me then it would save me
some time!

Thanks

James

  • [freetds] row data length, James Harper, 01/26/2006