freetds - [freetds] handling multiple users on the database

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Lawrence Chu <lrychu AT yahoo.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] handling multiple users on the database
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:07:01 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I am a newbie when it comes to TDS and handling sql
databases, so bear with me if this seems obvious ...

I have a mssql database and I am using freeTDS vers.
8.0. I have heard that mssql can handle multiple
users on the database as long as there isn't conflict
on the same cell at the same time. I am also using
transactions.

My problem is that when experimenting with deleting
and loading massive amounts of data (within
transaction), and another user is trying to retrieve
data at the same time, both ends seem to freeze up,
until one or the other gets off the database.

1) how do I check where the conflict is happening
2) what can I do to ensure that it does not freeze up
when there are multiple users (configurations,
settings, etc).

If this is not the right forum to raise this question,
or if my questions are just too vague or general,
please let me know. I'd appreciate any hints as to
where to begin.

Thanks in advance,
-Larry