freetds - Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQLserver.Integrated securi ty, ssl?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQLserver.Integrated securi ty, ssl?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:55:04 +0100

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe certificates are a
> bit like DNS: you
> chain up a tree. In this case, the server and you should
> both check each
> other's certificates chain up to a common trusted ancestor
> like VeriSign or
> your company. You need a certificate from that trusted ancestor (the
> company domain controller if this is all within one company),
> so you are
> hanging in the trust tree. Once 'you' are trusted, you can give out
> certificates to 'others' you 'trust', extending the tree.
> VeriSign says
> your company certificate server is really '2at.nl', the
> '2at.nl' certificate
> server says you are really 'wouter', and so on.
>
> The process can be modeled as registering a certificate or getting a
> certificate, but what matters is that the certificate
> signatures decode as
> being chained together.

In theory... in practise Microsoft do not check that much connecting to
a mssql server...

> BTW, the certificates are time limited, so trust has to be
> renewed, which is
> good: stale relationships are not valid forever (and also, I
> guess VeriSign
> gets paid periodically).
>
> My browser is always complaining about expired or unhooked
> certificates.

Well, the main reason is explained in previous paragraph :) A
certificate cost more than a hosting...

freddy77

  • Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQLserver.Integrated securi ty, ssl?, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 12/16/2005