freetds - Re: [freetds] tdspool lock handling

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Pickett, David" <David.Pickett AT phlx.com>
  • To: 'FreeTDS Development Group' <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tdspool lock handling
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:56:09 -0500

The tdspool server should respond to a disconnected client (usually a poll()
or select() inspired read() = EOF on the socket fd) by 'cleaning up' the
corresponding DB connection, closing it if cleanup fails (and reopening
either on speculation or on demand, according to whatever policy you prefer.
Current activity like cursors on the connection should be cancelled, and all
open transactions rolled back, clearing locks. (I seem to recall using
something like 'while trancount > 0 do rollback' in a similar, Sybase Tuxedo
server situation.)

Closing every time a client disappears could be very expensive if a flawed
but popular query is deployed, especially if the server does not share
itself well during close and open DB, holding locks or hogging a critical
thread. This part of a server often is not the focus of fastidious coding,
justifiably since these are supposed to be infrequent activities. The
activity increase on the db server is not free, either.

It's also be good for the tdspoll server to 'time out' idle incoming client
connections, so protocol violation lockups are detected, the terminal state
of the dialog is logged, and the incoming connection is closed (and maybe
you do, I am just including good practice while in the vicinity). If you
want to be really forgiving, you can only time out when all pool connections
are in use, but then you are being silently inconsistent, may contribute to
exhausting any DB server connection limit and are hindering debugging.

The tdspool client side should also respond to a disconnected or
unresponsive server by closing the socket and returning appropriate
notification to the caller. A well behaved caller will then decide if it
will exit, attempt a few reconnects, pass the error up the call chain or in
a response to a next layer client like a web browser.

Best regards,

David