freetds - Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQL server. Integratedsecur ity, ssl?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "W.H. van Atteveldt" <wouter AT 2at.nl>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 'secure connection' to SQL server. Integratedsecur ity, ssl?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:08:11 +0100

Dear David, James,

Thank you for your quick answers. However, I do not have control over
the server machine, and I think (from the failes
<domain>\wh.van.atteveldt test, that the machine does not accept domain
logon over tcp. I could try to persuade the syadmin to allow that, but I
would be much happier if that would not be necessary. So I suppose the
question really is:

Can I use a linux freetds client to connect to a mssql server that has
the 'force protocol encryption' box checked?

Thanks,

Wouter

Integratedsecur
> ity, ssl?
>
> Using a SSH/SSL tunnel from client to server is a simple way to take
the
> plaintext password off the net without touching the client (except to
> configure the db as being on a local tunnel port) or the server
(except to
> install a tunnel service from the SSH incoming port to the local db
server
> port). There are many tunneling products out there, many free. I
have
> uses
> SSH2 and Putty to secure VNC this way.
>
> Another roundabout way to the same end is to make your application a
light
> https:// service on the DB server host, or a host securely connected
> the
> DB server host.