freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS appears to fall over during cron jobs

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Daniel Walker" <DanielWalker AT ncfe.org.uk>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS appears to fall over during cron jobs
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:14:15 -0000

Hi all,
I'm running a Perl script that synchronises an SQL Server 7.0
database on Win 2K with a MySQL one on Debian Sarge, via a FreeTDS
(actually DBI:Sybase) connection. It runs from the bash shell of the
Sarge box. It takes about 55 minutes to run, and if launched manually,
by the synchronisation user, from the bash shell, it always runs to
completion successfully (although it does throw out a "cs_diag(CS_INIT)
failed" warning, right at the start).
However, when I set the program to run with exactly the same set
of parameters from the user's crontab, it fails on opening a table on
the SQL Server database with a "Data conversion resulted in overflow"
message. I understand what kind of problem the error is referring to,
and the data in the offending SQL Server table contains datatypes such
as nvarchar, for instance, which might explain it - but why the (very
consistent) inconsistency between running the job manually and running
it via cron? Why does the cron job always bomb, but the manual job
always run to completion?

Daniel Walker