freetds - [freetds] Non western language

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Horacio Sanson <horacio AT skillupjapan.co.jp>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Non western language
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:01:07 +0900

Hello,

I have been working with FreeTDS/unixODBC on a linux machine connecting to a
MS SQL 2000 database. All my varchar fields are in japanese and I can
update/insert records with japanese characters with no problem. Using the SQL
Query Analyser on windows shows the japanese text correctly.

The problem is that I cannot select records from the server as all text data
gets converted to "?" chars. I changed the configuration in all ways I could
think of using diferent char encodings with no luck. Can someone help me find
a way to read japanese text/varchar fields from the database??

Here is my configuration:

# freetds.conf
[TEST]
host = 192.168.0.210
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0
client charset = SJIS

# odbcinst.ini
[TDS]
Description = v0.52 with protocol v4.2
Driver = /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so
UsageCount = 1

# .odbc.ini
[TEST]
Driver = TDS
Description = test database
Trace = No
Server = 192.168.0.210
Database = TEST

I connect using isql and my system is set to Shift_JIS encoding. I can send
data to the SQL server and it is stored ok at the server but I cannot later
retrieve it.

I tried several charsets like UTF-8, Shift-JIS, EUC-JP etc and all of them
give me "?" chars instead of the japanese characters.

regards,
Horacio