freetds - Re: [freetds] Problem with smalldates in SP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Igor Korot <ikorot AT earthlink.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problem with smalldates in SP
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 10:38:02 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I think that it will affect the way the numbers and money are presented. The
American format for that is using commas to separate the thousands, millions,
etc. Some european countries are using the dots and some don't use anything.
Also, in America, people have the "dollar" sign in front of the amount, but
some other countries are having the money symbols behind the number.
Basically, I think if you look in the "Control Panel->RFegional Settings" in
the Windows XP/NT, you will see pretty much what's affected by this option.

Thank you.

Carlo Andreoli wrote:
> It's my fault, because in the "Connection attributes" page of the
> FreeTDS User Guide's chapter 4, it's explained that the language default
> for the odbc connections is us_english. However, let me say that it's
> not explained that this parameter determines also the dateformat
> setting. In fact, it says only: "(Human) language the server should use
> for error messages."

Carlo,

Thanks for pointing that out. It says that because, er, I didn't know
about that interaction. Still don't, actually, except for your mail.

I knew that the language setting is a property of the connection. On a
Win32 box, one has the option of "using regional settings" or somesuch.
know that affects how date strings are rendered to the user, and I've seen
problems with inserting dates when our UK friends set the dateformat to
mdy. I didn't know that the server would infer the dateformat from the
language specified at login.

I wonder what else is affected? When I understand it better, I'll update
the UG.