freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS/ODBC driver on Vax

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Sharman <chris.sharman AT ccagroup.co.uk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS/ODBC driver on Vax
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:44:55 +0100

FreeTDS Development Group wrote:
> Has anyone successfully build FreeTDS (and preferably the ODBC driver)
> on Vax/VMS (as opposed to Alpha/VMS)? I'm aware of a floating point
> problem but it's not clear to me if this relates simply to moving that
> type of data (I only want to move ASCII) or whether it compromises the
> whole operation.

Hi Bernard,
I'm fairly confident it only affects floating data (and possibly decimal
conversion operations).
I haven't got a VAX, but building on Alpha results are unaffected by
whether or not I use /FLOAT=IEEE. We use the tradition F format in our
systems, so I have F format apps, and I've successfully integrated
freetds with some of those.
I'd expect wrong answers or worse if I ever tried to use floating point
numbers, but provided you don't let freetds see them, you should be OK.
You can easily do casts & conversions on the SQL Server side, to control
what datatypes you get into freetds.
I don't use an ODBC driver, so I can't comment on that.

readme.vms in the kit comments:
"A VAX port is within the realm of possibilities. It would need to
convert between IEEE floating point data and native format and/or
request native F_FLOAT and D_FLOAT from the server (which may only work
on Sybase, not MS SQL Server, but that's TBD)."

I'd fetch it, try to build it, and go from there.
Building was fairly painless on Alpha.

Chris Sharman

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not
necessarily those of CCA Group. The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or
alteration of this message is forbidden. The contents of this message may be
confidential and/or privileged, copyright CCA Group and are intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Whilst
this message has been scanned, CCA Group cannot guarantee that it is virus
free or compatible with your systems and accepts no responsibility for any
loss or damage arising from its use. The recipient is advised to run their
own anti-virus software. If you receive this message in error please contact
postmaster AT ccagroup.co.uk immediately, destroy any copies and delete it from
your computer systems.