freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + php-sybase_ct on Debian Sarge

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "John Fleming" <jfleming AT donet.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + php-sybase_ct on Debian Sarge
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:26:24 -0400

> > Warning: sybase_connect(): Sybase: Client message: Login
incorrect.
> > (severity 78) in /path/named/hidden/database.phtml on line 25

> That message doesn't prevent the query from working. Isn't there any
> way to prevent warning messages from replacing data?

Indeed, this ended up being the key to fixing my issues.

In my php.ini, I had

sybct.min_server_severity = 11
sybct.min_client_severity = 11

I set both values to 12 (since the severity of the charset warning was
reported as 11). I set the TDS level back to 5.0 as well. Now the
site works consistently with no errors.

Thank you for the insight!

> I'm confident you'll be much closer to 100% once the character set
> issues are resolved. My one concern is that you're using the Debian
> FreeTDS package, which is waaay out of date. See Steve Langasek's
> message of September 9.

I did also try the "client charset = ISO-8859-1". I had actually tried
that earlier after doing some Googling. I think, as you have mentioned,
the FreeTDS version in Debian is old enough that the client charset
doesn't
have much effect.

Since I have resolved my issue and I'm trying to stick to official
Debian
packages as much as possible, I'm not going to worry about this any
more.
But it sounds like if I have further charset issues that can't be
resolved
by suppressing the warnings :-) I should look at a newer version of
FreeTDS.

I appreciate the quick and helpful response!

John