freetds - [freetds] PHP and the UG

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] PHP and the UG
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:06:30 -0400

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/php.htm

The PHP section is out of date and doesn't reflect our best advice. As
someone who doesn't use PHP, I'm hardly qualified to update it.

ISTM there should be some strong advice for the common arrangement, using
SQL Server 2000. It should guide the user toward the mssql extension, and
enumerate the RPMs (or whatever) that are typically needed.

It seems that many people wind up using ODBC, often for no more reason
than that they can spell it. That's too bad, because it's twice the setup
work and quite a bit more mysterious when it fails.

If you have the experience and facility with English, the UG would benefit
from your contribution. Earn the eternal gratitude and respect of your
peers. Craft a few fine paragraphs, post them here, and I'll do the
DocBook work.

Walk taller and breathe deeper, too.

Thanks.

--jkl

  • [freetds] PHP and the UG, James K. Lowden, 06/20/2005