freetds - Re: [freetds] Help with error: Can't load Sybase.so

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Giorgilli <pgiorgilli AT theage.fairfax.com.au>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Help with error: Can't load Sybase.so
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:27:28 +1000

On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 15:56 -0700, Kirk wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having problems getting DBD::Sybase to work with FreeTDS. I
> followed the installation instructions and I was able to connect to my
> SQL server using tsql. However, I can't connect using DBD::Sybase
> because the perl script fails to compile. I must point out that I
> searched the archives and I found a thread dealing with the same
> problem and Fedora Core 2 (I'm using FC 3). The fix was to add
> /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf. I did it and I still get the same
> error:

Not so much failed to compile, because I'm sure if you were to syntax
check the script a la "perl -cw", it would probably "compile" cleanly.
The problem is in dynamically loading the shared library object,
"Sybase.so". One or other of the libraries "Sybase.so" in turn uses is
not in the standard library search path. In this case, "libct.so.3".

Try using "ldd" (man ldd) to print the shared library's dependencies. In
other words:

ldd /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/.../Sybase/Sybase.so

You might also like to try the following:

LD_DEBUG=all perl -e 'use DBD::Sybase;'

The above instructs the dynamic linker/loader (man ld.so) to print debug
info (to STDOUT by default) as it goes through the motions.

HTH

Peter

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files
is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or
any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written
consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and
delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of
any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet
communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.