freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds and windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds and windows
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 19:33:57 -0400

Brett <generica AT email.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > Brett <generica AT email.com> wrote:
> >> The next plan was to compile it under windows, which I thought would
> >be> straightforward. We already had the system compiling under
> >windows,> with faked calls for the sql stuff, so it was just a case of
> >using the> freetds code, and linking it in with the windows libraries.
> >
> > Ah, but it is not straightforward. :-( As you found, the VC++ project
> > in the win32 directory builds the ODBC driver only. If you update it
> > to build db-lib, I would be glad to include your version in the main
> > distribution.
> >

> So does that mean, in it's current state, this won't work under windows
> ?

You can't simply unpack the source distribution and compile db-lib under
Windows, no. With a little work, you probably can, because the underlying
communications library (libtds) does compile as part of the ODBC driver.

> > shell32.lib? That's a surprise. What does db-lib need from that?
>
> from memory, something about finding a filename's path from desktop, or
> some odd windows function.

I'd be a little concerned that you're being misled. I'm sure there's no
Windows-specific code in db-lib, nor any GUI interaction. All it needs
should come from the C standard library.

> I've never had any luck debugging this program, since it is not
> straightforward c, but a mix of c and prolog, compiled by a prolog
> compiler into an executable. Generally debuggers 'just don't work' with
>
> it :(

If I were you and wanted to get db-lib compiled under Windows, I would
begin by making sure the basic fuctions work. You could try
src/dblib/unittests/t0001.c, or src/apps/freebcp.c. Those you can at
least debug and we'll have a common frame of reference. Once freebcp can
load and extract a table on your server, you'll be in a position to link
db-lib to your application.