freetds - [freetds] FreeBSD 5.0 performance problems with TCP_NOPUSH

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Deacon <peterd AT iea-software.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeBSD 5.0 performance problems with TCP_NOPUSH
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:59:52 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

From my research on the FreeBSD platform you can't toggle TCP_NOPUSH to
indiciate flushing of buffers like you can with TCP_CORK on other platforms.

When I compile with the nopush options I get very long delays (>2sec) for some queries. Commenting them out the delays go away.

My vote is for yanking NOPUSH for FreeBSD... sound reasonable?

Besides nagle should absorb most of the performance hit associated with short writes?

Have Fun!
Peter