freetds - RE: [freetds] MS SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: <ml AT freetds.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] MS SQL Server
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:55:00 -0500

My
> background is a Perl and Oracle programmer, so I am a little bit out
of my
> league.
> I am using FreeTDS version 0.62.4. I did not add any options to
configure
> other than to build the unixODBC driver and install in
/usr/local/freetds.
> I have tried multiple TDS protocol versions, even those not expected
to work
> with MS SQL server. None seem to work. I always seem to get an
"unknown
> marker" error, although some tools additionally report a "Login
incorrect"
> error.
>
> The SQL Server admins report that the version number is 8.00.760
> My first question is this. Given a commandline of the following
form:

> TDSVER=x.x tsql -H 10.x.x.x -p xxxx -U username
>
> what should I set TDSVER to in order to expect tsql to be able to
> connect?

Hi David, and welcome to the project.

Most of your questions will be answered when you RTFM again. :-) The
User Guide should be installed in /usr/local/share/doc/freetds-0.62.4.
The optimimal server-protocol pairs are mentioned there. There is also
a troubleshooting section that steers you to tsql.

For SQL Server 2000 (which you indeed have), you want TDS 8.0. TDS 7.0
works, too, as will 4.2, but as you downgrade you give up functionality.
Make that one of the server's attributes in freetds.conf. The default
default, if you don't use --with-tdsver, is 5.0, which will not work
with any Microsoft server.

Also see 'man tsql'. As an Oracle guy, you might want to review the man
pages for freebcp, bsqldb, and defncopy, too. I don't know what their
Oracle equivalents are.

> Second, now that I am trying to use tsql for debugging, it seems to
hang
> forever, or else is using a very long timeout. How can I get more
verbose
> output from this tool for sharing with this list so I can beg for more
help?

See the UG section on logging. You want to set TDSDUMP to something
useful (stdout is one choice). You'll get a lot of detail about your
session that way.

HTH.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.