freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS_ROWFMT_RESULT vice TDS_CMD_FAIL correction...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ian Harding" <iharding AT tpchd.org>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS_ROWFMT_RESULT vice TDS_CMD_FAIL correction...
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:48:27 -0800

Oops, got that backwards. It works as expected with ASA8, doesn't with
MSSQLServer2000

>>> iharding AT tpchd.org 01/13/05 9:28 AM >>>
Hello,

I am using freetds 0.62.4 to connect to MSSQLServer 2000 and Sybase ASA
8 databases from SUSE Linux (SLES9).

Things are fine for the most part, now that I figured out that
TDS_SUCCESS doens't really mean success in terms of the SQL command
succeeding. I check the resulttype for TDS_CMD_FAIL to see if the
command failed for a SQL error.

Well, the ASA server reports TDS_ROWFMT_RESULT when the error has to do
with datatype conversion (and maybe others) but properly reports
TDS_CMD_FAIL when I have used RAISERROR, or there is a SQL syntax error
for example.

The MSSQLServer server does The Right Thing in all cases I have tested.

Is this normal, a problem with ASA8, or maybe with FreeTDS?

I am using TDS Version 5 for ASA and version 7 for MSSQLServer2000.

Thank you in advance...