freetds - [freetds] Testing for query success

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Vanns <jimv AT canterbury.ac.uk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Testing for query success
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:02:55 +0000

Dear all,

First a happy new year to you. Now, to the point! I am issuing an UPDATE
statement (actually I am calling a stored procedure that issues this
statement) against a Microsoft SQL Server (2000).

I am testing this using sqsh also...

Basically, this SP succeeds yet I also get an error message returned
(not a record set):

'Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type
datetime.The statement has been terminated.'

As I said - the update succeeds and the date format is accepted and
stored fine (format was: 2003-04-11 17:29:27).

So

a) Why is this message returned by FreeTDS?
b) If this error message is returned how come the SQSH (and therefore
FreeTDS?) program prints '(return status = 0)' also? Doesn't 0 signify
success?

Any direction you can give me to the solution to this will be
appreciated. I.e. what dblib or even tds functions should I be calling
to test for the real success or failure of my statement?

Regards

Jim Vanns

PS: This is FreeTDS 0.62

--