freetds - [freetds] RE: output parameters and "unknown marker"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Alin Sinpalean <alin_sinpalean AT users.sourceforge.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] RE: output parameters and "unknown marker"
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:26:23 +0200

"ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com> wrote:

As you can see I use always nullable type and I receive correctly data.

It seems that mssql try to use the same type used in input and fail on

NULL if client pass not-nullable types. It returns also garbage !!! I

don't think it's a different code but a bug (you can consider a client

or a server problem... client should send correct type while server

should validate more accurately data and not send garbage). So... all we

have to change it's tds_set_param_type in src/tds/data.c (and possibly

add some tests too).

freddy77

Freddy,

You are right. jTDS always uses nullable types when sending parameters and it never had
this problem. It seems like SQL Server "forgets" to change the parameter type
and tries to return a null value using a non-nullable type (it sends the 0 length, it
should only change the type to the equivalent nullable type). It also messes up the
token length, but I guess no one is looking at that anyway.

"Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com> wrote:

I've recently noticed how well jTDS is doing - congratulations on API

cursors!

Thank you, Bill. We still haven't managed to join our TDS documentation
efforts, but who knows? ;o)

Alin Sinpalean,

The jTDS Project.