freetds - [freetds] Which library to use with MS SQL

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ellen Spertus <ellen.spertus AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Which library to use with MS SQL
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:34:57 -0800

I'm building an application that will be talking to Microsoft SQL
Server and am trying to decide which freetds library to use. I have a
working prototype that uses libtds, but the FAQ recommends using a
client library instead (http://freetds.org/faq.html#Which_API). When
considering dblib, I was spooked by the src/dblib/unittests/README
file, which says that, as of January 1999, t0003.c is broken. It
made me wonder if dblib and MS SQL do not, in fact, play well
together.

I'd be most grateful for advice on which library works best with MS
SQL, including accessing stored procedures, checking for errors, and
handling UTF-8.

Ellen Spertus