freetds - Re: [freetds] patch for new application program

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: entropy AT freetds.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] patch for new application program
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:42:03 -0500

Thompson, Bill D (London) wrote:

I don't see why creating extra db-library functions should be a bad
thing, if they fill functional deficiencies in the existing dblibrary
API, and do not compromise the behaviour of the existing functions.

Namespace pollution, for one. If you absolutely must have this function, I would prefer that it be named _dbtablecolinfo() or even _freetds_dbtablecolinfo().

But since you know the DB-Library API is deficient with respect to the requirements of this application, why not just write the application using one of the other APIs?