freetds - RE: [freetds] Returning text

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Returning text
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:30:58 +0200

> Dear All,
>
> Is there any way to get FreeTDS to return the contents of
> ntext and nchar
> fields is a character set other than iso-8859-1 when using unixODBC?
>
> I have looked at the support using iconv and the support is
> there at a lower
> level but I cannot see a way to call tds_iconv_open or other
> iconv function
> when using the ODBC driver. I see that there are iconv
> changes in the 0.63
> release, is this one of them? If not please could a way be
> provided to allow
> this? A solution using an environment variable or using the
> odbc.ini file
> would suffice for our needs (the latter being preferable).
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

Just set client charset to utf-8 in freetds.conf.
I saw that unixODBC have a very strange iconv support. It seems that it
always assume iso-8859-1. However it don't do translation if driver
don't support wide char functions and you use ansi functions so setting
client charset in FreeTDS return data correctly. I find very bad that if
it found wide char functions it always use wide function and always
translate to iso-8859-1... it decrease performance and it force client
to use wide functions to support no-west-european languages.

freddy77

  • RE: [freetds] Returning text, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 10/15/2004