freetds - RE: [freetds] sp_cursoroption and blob fields

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: <mcbp223 AT yahoo.com>, "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] sp_cursoroption and blob fields
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:35:35 +0200

> Hi Bill,
> Great, I'm going to ask whenever I get deadlocked.
>
> As for what I'm trying to do, I have a database engine with
> no network support, and I want to get some exposure for it,
> to different technologies like odbc, oledb, jdbc and dotnet.
> Grace to this group's efforts, to jTDS and mono, TDS seems to
> be the most open protocol to do client/server, although it
> was not intended to be open.
> I have complaced myself into 4.2 because the MS Network
> Monitor parser for TDS makes it easy to discover the
> protocol, but it fails to keep in sync when encountering wide
> characters, as in 7.0 and 8. However I'm afraid I'll have to
> switch to wide character, since 4.2 is losing support fast,
> for example the jdbc driver from Microsoft doesn't talk to
> TDS 4.2; I'm not sure about Mono.
> Regarding the programming language, I use C++ with gcc and
> Visual, I am too afraid of memory leaks to use C, and I guess
> a server can afford to be less portable than a client.

In 2004 I don't think that C++ it's so "less portable"... gcc can
compile for a lot of platforms, even cross compiling !

> How about a higher level question - is it good to stick to a
> binary protocol for a server, or go to xml rather?

If you want odbc, oledb, etc without writing many code you have to use a
protocol which provide these drivers... Oracle, DB2, MySql, postgres or
whatever. Perhaps you can find a simpler protocol... I don't know... I
think you have to implements many store procedure and emulations to make
more stuff happy... IMO a simpler db should have a simpler protocol.