freetds - [freetds] Freetds,unixODBC,RH Ent Linux

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Walls Rob W Contr 75 CS/SCBS <Rob.Walls AT HILL.af.mil>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Freetds,unixODBC,RH Ent Linux
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:30:06 -0600

Trying to get RH Ent Linux 3 to talk to MS SQL. I'd like to use PHP to
script it once it works.

tsql -H [IP] -U [user] -p 1433
And
tsql -S TDS -U [user] -p 1433
Connects to and queries the db just fine after making an entry in
freetds.conf

I think my problem may be no ODBC driver (.so file). There are many
lib*odbc*.so files in /usr/lib, but no libtdsodbc.so file.
So, I tried to compile FreeTDS with
./configure --with-tdsver=7.0 --with-unixodbc,
But many errors occur, apparently because there's no sql.h, sqlext.h or
odbcinst.h on the system.

So I tried the RPM (v0.62.1-1). I never tried tsql before that, so I don't
know what would have happened, but it doesn't provide the driver file.

isql doesn't work. Apparently because the system DSN is not correctly set up
(where's that driver anyway?).
I used KDE's ODBCConfig GUI thingy to set up the DSN, but don't know what
driver and setup to use. I tried various combinations of /usr/lib/libtds.so,
/usr/lib/libtdsS, /usr/lib/libtdssrv.so (which all exist) for the setup and
driver files, but no luck.

For all I know, unixODBC may be the problem. The freetds docs talk about
installing the Driver Manager BEFORE trying to compile. I'm not sure what
that is or where to get it, but I though the ODBCConfig stuff would be the
driver manager. Anyway, I'm hoping someone here can point me toward the
answer.

Rob Walls
75 CS/SCBS
Hill AFB, UT 84056