freetds - Re: [freetds] 1st select fails, 2nd works

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 1st select fails, 2nd works
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:40:34 -0400

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 <edwards AT vitesse.com> wrote:
> I'm running 0.62.4 with DBI 1.42 against a MSSQL server (8.0.x).
>
> Can anyone explain why running the same SELECT statement returns
> different results the second time?
>
> The first run of the perl script shows only 1 element is returned
> but when the same SQL is rerun I get the expected 8 columns?

http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#syb_result_type

Meet the new FAQ. :-)

You're almost certainly seeing spurious CS_STATUS_RESULT result types.
Try perldoc DBD::Sybase, looking for syb_result_type.

We might have fixed this in current CVS, that is, we might be correctly
suppressing the spurious results. The fix hasn't been widely tested yet,
though, and slightly broke row buffering in db-lib.