freetds - Re: [freetds] Re: make fails in macosx 10.3 libtools section

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl AT cygnusinteractive.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Re: make fails in macosx 10.3 libtools section
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:36:25 -0500

Nicki Handy wrote:
Thanks- the latest snapshot worked. I then went to cpan and got dbd::sybase
but I haven't been able to get a perl test to run (I didn't get too many
failed tests either when I make installed, seemed to connect ok). Is it
required that I set up odbc? I've edited all the odbc.ini files I could find
but none of them resided where the docs thought they should. I have
everything in /usr/local/ not /usr/local/freetds
I also couldn't locate the isql command but tsql seems to connect fine.
This is the test I am using with perl: (I suspect I should change things but
I named everything
in odbc.ini as the example named things and substituted my server info, but
'guest' should not work)

#!/usr/bin/perl
#
use DBI;

my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:server=JDBC", 'guest', 'sybase',
{PrintError => 0});

die "Unable for connect to server $DBI::errstr"
unless $dbh;

my $rc;
my $sth;

$sth = $dbh->prepare("select \@\@servername");
if($sth->execute) {
while(@dat = $sth->fetchrow) {
print "@dat\n";
}
}

The output I get is
tds_connect: 192.138.151.39:4444: Operation timed out

I suspect I am not finding the correct odbc to edit b/c that's not my server
nor the port I use. When I was setting the parameters when installing
DBD::Sybase, I did put in my server info and it liked it. Somehow I thought
that would be set as a system var, but now I think there's more to do.

Nicki, I'm not sue how useful this will be, as it's a little outdated, but I thought the Perl/DBD::Sybase stuff might be useful:

http://rasterweb.net/raster/code/freetdsnotes.html

It worked for me, at the time I did it, with the versions I used, so I figured it was worth documenting.

Pete