freetds - [freetds] Re: Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT axelero.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Re: Installing on MacOSX (Panther) woes....
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:25:49 +0200

On Jun 24, 2004, at 21:55, Craig Jurney wrote:

Now that I checked that I still could build 0.62.4 just fine, it's time to establish what's the difference between our systems which makes yours fail.

Your output:

ranlib .libs/libreplacements.a
*** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
*** Future versions of Libtool will require -mode=MODE be specified.
ranlib: warning: cannot infer operation mode from `.libs/libreplacements.a'
ranlib: you must specify a MODE
Try `ranlib --help' for more information.
make[2]: *** [libreplacements.la] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Mine:

ranlib .libs/libreplacements.a
ranlib: warning for library: .libs/libreplacements.a the table of contents is empty (no object file members in the library define global symbols)
creating libreplacements.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libreplacements.la && ln -s ../libreplacements.la libreplacements.la)
Making all in tds
Making all in unittests
[the build process continues normally]

Let's see what's going on with this ranlib of yours.

$ command -V ranlib
ranlib is hashed (/usr/bin/ranlib)

$ ls -l /usr/bin/ranlib
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 27 May 03:07 /usr/bin/ranlib -> libtool

[A-ha! That explains why invoking ranlib might result in a "Future versions of Libtool" error message on your system.]

This is Apple Computer's special libtool utility, not to be confused by GNU's tool of the same name - which is also installed in another directory...

$ ls -l /usr/bin/libtool
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 126448 27 May 03:19 /usr/bin/libtool

Check if there's anything different in the output of these commands on your system.
Have you installed fink, opendarwin or anything of the kind by chance? I haven't. It's possible they are hijacking ranlib and/or libtool... Checking your PATH setting may provide some insight:
$ echo $PATH

I use Mac OS X 10.3.4 with Xcode 1.2 (downloaded from ADC). Xcode 1.2 is fairly recent; however, I remember building FreeTDS similarly successfully before I installed it.

--
fds